Friday, November 19, 2010

Live with Languages..

"YOU LIVE A NEW LIFE FOR EVERY NEW LANGUAGE YOU 
  SPEAK..
  IF YOU KNOW ONLY ONE LANGUAGE..
  YOU LIVE ONLY ONCE.."

A saying which I cannot agree more..
Like me, I was in Chinese education for my whole life until three years ago..
With only an hour a day of limited exposure back then..
English was never my playground..
You shall not be surprised that time if I couldn't even form a proper sentence without struggling for words and grammar..

But somehow somewhere fate found me..
I picked up my English during these three years..
Now I have been living with it since then..
It gave me a chance to live as a different person..
And opened up a whole new world for me when I slowly mastering it..

I came to understand that when a new language is learnt..
The language itself is not alone..
It comes along with its culture and history..
Followed by its native speakers' wisdom, behaviour and attitude towards life that have been accumulated over the years..
Without I realizing it, I adapted these qualities into my personality..
which made me fitted to be like everyone else in the community..
Enjoying things that English speakers would enjoy
which I probably would not learn to appreciate if it were not because of the language..

In fact, being able to switch freely between both languages..
I am extremely grateful and lucky to have witnessed 
the beauty of languages that lies in between thousands years of human civilization..
Telling their hidden stories through ancient symbols..


3 comments:

  1. i wish there is a like button for me to click on :) The road which was once,not taken, is very worth taken now,indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me gusta!!!!

    "YOU LIVE A NEW LIFE FOR EVERY NEW LANGUAGE YOU
    SPEAK.." I want to live multiple live=)

    btw, nice wallpaper n layout=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I see you are following my blog too..=P
    But mine is not happening..
    And actually the one on promises should be out yet..
    I got lazy while writing so it's not complete..
    Read again when it's done..
    muahaha..

    ReplyDelete